Friday, July 13, 2007

Signs of a true Addict!


My birthday was about 2 weeks ago and my friend Stephanie made me a chocolate cake. It wasn't just any cake, it was Magleby's chocolate cake! If that doesn't mean anything to you then maybe you can't relate but it was sooooooo good. I grudgingly shared a piece with Jeff and a small sliver with Kaylie and I devoured the rest. Her mom helped her make it since she used to help make the desserts for Magleby's Restaurant. Of course I asked for the recipe and they can't give it to me. I understand and am glad for their example of integrity but I have been searching for the recipe ever since! I have looked just about everywhere. I found a recipe online that sounded really good and thought it might be a good copy cat. I spent all day letting the butter get just right and it called for sour cream and beaten egg whites folded into the batter etc..I was sooooo disappointed, when my cake was done it just tasted like chocolate cake, there was nothing special about it. If I could even just get the frosting recipe! My chocolate frosting always tastes like there's too much powdered sugar in it but the frosting and the cake she made me was soooo yummy. I have been dreaming about it the past few nights and last night in my dream I found the secret to the frosting. I was so happy when I woke up I really thought I knew the recipe but the more I woke up I realized that the skittles that were melted down to make the chocolate frosting in my dream to mask the powdered sugar taste wasn't quite right. So now I am disappointed and desperately wanting that recipe! I might just have to go down to Magleby's and beg and buy myself another entire cake! Pathetic!

4 comments:

david said...

Ok...so I'm still laughing and it's like the third time I've read it.

Kristen said...

Hi Julie! I discovered your blog while reading Holly's! I have never partaken (is that a word?)of this cake you have mentioned! I will have to do this tomorrow since I have a similar addiction... PF Chang's "Wall of China". It's been fun reading your blog. Your family is so adorable!

Julie said...

I'm still thinking about this cake but now I'm wondering about the PF Changs Great Wall of China cake too because Kristen isn't the only one who has told me about it. I REALLY want that recipe!

Julie said...

Last night Jeff and I went running and then went to PF Changs to try their chocolate cake and although the raspberry sauce is very good and the berries are good it still doesn't compare to Magleby's cake! We also learned something about powdered sugar! In order for it not to have that metallic taste you have to make sure to get cane sugar powdered sugar and if it doesn't say cane sugar on it it's made with beet sugar. Thank you Fred and Lydia for that insight! I'll have to try some more recipes, I just have to have that cake recipe!!!!!!!!!!!

Christmas Cuties!

Kaylie"s new world!

My girls

My girls
Kaylie

Ashley